Welcome to my bathtub, I’m
planning to laze here for the next four months. Yes, at the end of January I will
have been in Bath for four months.
We, me and S, are here in
Bath, in the southwest part of United Kingdom. Nearby the sixth largest city of
England, Bristol, which is about 20 kilometres northwest from Bath.
![]() |
| Typical Bath scenery @Great Pulterney Street |
![]() |
| Our neighbourhood |
Bath itself is quite a
small city, just under a hundred thousand inhabitants. That’s very much like
Vaasa in Finland; old, small and compact. The city is located in the middle of small
hills, in the valley of the river Avon. The River Avon itself is streaming
slowly through the city. It is narrow, the water is dirty and therefore it’s slightly
boring, and in my opinion, underused in the city scenery.
(and next two pictures don't tell the whole story :)
![]() |
| Pulterney Bridge and RiverAvon |
![]() |
| River Avon |
I like water, and
luckily there’s also an 18th century built canal. It flows through the
whole southern part of England and merges with the river Thames in the West of
London, so you can boat across England. What an adventure if I ever have time
for that. The canal flows right next to our home, and it’s a very nice route
for jogging or cycling. There’s lot of beautiful narrowboats on the canal, and
I guess some people are living on it. You can also rent some of them, if you
want to experience canal boating yourself. We planned on doing that, but later
we realized that it has already become too cold to do that. Maybe next time,
although S. laughed when I made this comment.
![]() |
| Kenneth & Avon Canal |
![]() |
| River and canal crossing, weird! |
Many of our Finnish friends
say that they already know Bath because of Jane Austen’s famous books, in which
people hang around here on their holiday. Jane Austen has lived in Bath a
couple of times and has also written some of her books here. It’s nice that
that city has been a tourist attraction since roman time, when people from the Roman
Empire came here to take a hot bath. In the centre of Bath there’s still a historical
building called the Roman baths, of which the oldest parts are from the first
century!
(more about that in another blog later)
But there’s also one weird
thing because of Baths, in my opinion. The railway station of Bath named Bath
Spa. Could you imagine that double name, it’s like “kylpy-kylpylä” in Finnish.
![]() |
| Kylpy Kylpylä |
Maybe because of those
baths, the city centre is very historically and beautiful, at first sight. Most buildings were built in the18th century and at that time buildings
were mostly covered with local limestone. Also new buildings were covered with
stone, to preserve the original historical scenery of the city. Because of that
same stone pattern in every building, sometimes that limestone makes the city
look boring. The whole city of Bath belongs to Unesco World Heritage list and I
think that’s the reason why they have to preserve that old limestone-like
atmosphere in new buildings. But I also have to say, that you have just spend
one day in Bristol, and after that Bath looks again very beautiful.
Take a short look to Bristol.
![]() |
| Bristol suburbs |
![]() |
| Bristol centre - more like a Finland :) |
And back to Bath again. No more Bristol, ever, I promise!
Besides that Bath itself is
beautiful, Bath is located in the middle of wonderful nature. The area north
from Bath, called Cotswolds, is one of the most beautiful countryside in
England. It has an official statement called “Area of Outstanding Natural
Beauty”, sounds nice or what? Cotswolds is traditional countryside, full of
different sizes of hills rolling around. And the views on there, when hiking,
are lovely. Stonewalls and pastures colouring the hills, and a lot of different
domestic animals like sheep or horses are pasturing around. It’s a very
relaxing atmosphere.
The city itself is also
chatty. There is no big shopping centre at bath, which makes its centre very
alive. There are lots of small shops and cafés everywhere and free WiFi to work
on. But after 6 pm the city is almost dead. Yes really mean that. The most shops
close at 7pm, at the latest, and after that the streets fade out. So if you
want to shop, you have to do it straight after work.
![]() |
| Unknown square at centre |
That’s enough about Bath.
But what are WE doing here then, just having a holiday? Not really. S. is
studying at the University of Bath until the end of January and I’m looking
around to find an interesting voluntary job. But it seems to be hard, because
there has been a lot of pedophile scandals in England, thus background checks
and paperwork to get a job with children take so much time, that everybody says
that they don’t want to do it only for a four months period. So, I’m looking
after something else, but right now my motivation isn’t very good.
So, nowadays I’m doing a little
bit of remote working and studying English as much as I can, but I could do a
lot more. One important part of studying is this blog, which I’m writing in
English. I just realised, that since graduating high school, I have only rarely
written in English, about once in a year and you can see it. And this is also a
good reason to take more photos, an interest, which has been on hold for too
long.
So, I’m sorry that you have
to read my scrappy English. But you don’t really have to read this at all. But
if you want, try to enjoy.
Yours, T.










Thanks for sharing! I'll try to hang along. :D
VastaaPoistaI'm proud of you, good writing! Ja kiva lukee kuulumisiakin :)
VastaaPoista